Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Mirehouse

Sunday 24th October

Still feeling frail after colds - tired mainly - so we have opted for an amble around Mirehouse; a small estate which hugs the Eastern shore of Bassenthwaite Lake.

It quickly became a walk full of memories as we used to come here often when our son was small. There is an adventure play-area in the woods, which he used to love and a bee garden which has always held a sense of peace for me. For the first time since we have returned I felt that we had truly, come home.

Successfully being able to identify the herbs in the herb-garden by their smell sent me into spontaneously singing, Scarborough Fair - quite loudly at times as we walked along the beck to the lakeside. It is a long time since I have felt like spontaneously bursting into song so I think it was good (albeit embarrassing for husband and passers-by).

After our small trot we felt tired and decided to visit the house, which we have never been inside before. This proved more intereting than expected. Marcus loved the library but found the Ladies Drawing room a little spooky. I loved the music room, especially as there was a woman actually playing the piano - reminded me of my own childhood when my Nanna used to play. There is something about Victorian nurseries that always give me the creeps - why is this?

Finally we walked back to the car-park and had coffee at the tea-house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home