Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Ullscarf 1

Wednesday, 7th September

I am sitting on top of a fell. There is a band of cloud drifting towards me. It is dropping into my tea and the drips are splashing up onto my nose whilst I am trying to drink. I'm desperate for a pee but am loth to drop pants and expose myself to the wind, which is strong!

This is fell-walking at its best and what I remember most. Of course I didn't have to go walking in the rain today, I could just have easily have left it until tomorrow, when, I have read, the weather will be better - drier. But today, today I had to go a walk and as Ullscarf is one of those peaks which has thus far escaped my attention I decided today was the day.

It was wet, it was boggy and when I finally got back I realized I'd climbed the wrong one. Mind the view from Coldbarrow was magnificent, even through the rain. I could see Dock Tarn, Watenlath Tarn and both Derwentwater and Bassenthwaite in the distance - stunning!