Friday, May 19, 2006

Snow on Seat Sandal

Sunday, 5th March

Today I did a very brave thing - brave for me that is. I climbed and then descended a steep fell in snow. Seat Sandal would probably have posed no threat to me whatsoever had we decided to climb it in spring say, or summer - anytime other than when it was covered in snow. I do not like slippery slopes, especially steep, slippery ones but this afternoon found me half way up one and then descending without resorting to sitting on my bum (which is how I have descended most of the steeper fells in the Lake District. Anyhow I am justly proud and did, looking back, actually enjoy most of it. We met a guy who showed us these mini crampons (instep crampons) which are light to carry and fit to any boot. We are thinking of investing in some of these next year. Usually I don't climb in snow and ice.
When we reached the tarn, on the way back down, we saw several people wearing full crampons. There were loads of people going up Dollywagon and lots on top of Fairfield.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home