Friday, June 23, 2006

Hen Comb

Tuesday, 13th June

I thought I might climb Gavel Fell today and finish the walk I began several months ago with Blake Fell and Burnbank. However I fancied walking around the far corner of Crummock and taking another look at the Fish Ladders so I parked up at Scale Hill car park and climbed Hen Comb instead.This turned out to be a delightful walk as I had not seen the Mosedale Valley before. I got very excited when I saw the Mosedale Holly Bush in the distance. This is the only individual tree that is mentioned on the O.S. maps of the Lake District and is something I have always wanted to meet.

Although I had planned to return the same way as I had ascended, I decided to come down the other side. This proved to be a mistake in one way because it took me nearly two hours to cross the bog at the bottom. I should have simpley followed the curve of Hen Comb round to reach the central path. I walked nearly to the waterfall at the base of Red Pike and then picked up the path around the base of Mellbreak. This was good because I actually got a close-up look at the Holly Tree, which I had not expected to be able to do.

Mosedale Valley really fascinated me. I think I have mentioned befoe that I love the mountain passes. They seem so mysterious to me, leading from one place to another, a secret place that is not a place in itself but a place where people pass through. There is a sense of movement, timelessness and lonliness here - wonderful. I also discovered a small path which follows the river, from the car park. This was much more peaceful, pretty and interesting than the forest path I usually take to the lake.

I have had a lovely day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home