Saturday, December 11, 2004

The Road to Skiddaw House

Thursday, 9th December

I have fond memories of Skiddaw House. It lies on a hill in a copse of trees at the back of Skiddaw Fell. It used to be a Youth Hostel and once, when I was walking from one side of the Northern Fells to the other (from Mosedale to Bassenthwaite) many years ago, I met the warden. We used to go and stay, Ricky and I, in return for work. One day I varnished the window-sills inside and on another I went with a friend - Liz - and her two children and we painted the sills on the outside. I have helped Martin put out the washing and have got sozzled with him late at night and all for - the chance to wake up in the morning, look out of the window and see - nothing but fells for miles.

I was too tired to drive today so I got a bus to Bassenthwaite village and walked back home. I thought it would take about four hours: it took six! It was also very cold (freezing actually, the rocks on the path had frost on them). I enjoyed it though. It was great to get out after not being able to for a few days.

Marcus found and downloaded an old Moody Blue album I haven't heard since my teens: Days of Future Passed - anyone out there remeber that? So I played that as I walked - twice!

It has been a day of memories today. I am sad that Skiddaw House is no longer a Youth Hostel because it means that I shall never stay there again - or get drunk with the Warden - wherever he is now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home