Thursday, November 24, 2005

Loweswater

Thursday, 17th November

Wanted to climb some fells over Loweswater way. The drive over Whinlatter was beautiful. There was a hoar frost covering every blade of grass and all the Pines looked as if they had been dipped in icing sugar. The sun was very strong and back-lit it all. It was a cold but bright winter's day. The light was not good for photographs however; creating too many bright patches next to deep shadow.
Started late so did not have enough time to do all the peaks I had intended. Lost the tarn completely which I remembered from last time. Spotted it from half-way up Blake Fell. Could see my friend's old house from the top of the fell. The view were expansive; I was watching the sea and could see all the way over the Firth to Scotland.
I have climbed Burnbank before, many years ago with a friend, but was glad I did so again as I now realize we did not reach the summit. The way down was not particularly good as there was no path so I was glad that the ground was frozen (this walk would have been a nightmare if I had done it last week).
Finished the rest of the walk in the dark, which was a bit scary as I was coming down steep narrow paths in woodland.
Moon frightened me on the way back; it sort of jumped out over the brow of Whinlatter and it was very big.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home