Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Armboth - The Return

Monday, 7th November

Decided to try again to find Armboth (third attempt in all). Drove around, the now all too familiar road around Thirlmere. Great puddles full of orange pine-needles covered most of it, which made it slippy. The path, which should have been easy, had a small stream running down it and so was also very slippery. I reached the top of the climb and again found myself in the midst of a boggy landscape littered with small mounds of rock covered in dead heather. Which particular mound was Armboth, I wondered. It began to drizzle. I sat on my water-prof tru's and had my sani's. I pulled out map only to find that the lake in the right-hand corner was not Thirlmere but Coniston - wrong map! I decided to wander about for a bit anyway, put on tru's and waded through the bog to an outlying mound upon which I spied a small rectangular 'thing'. Ahah, I thought, Ahhad; is this a cairn I see before me? And it was. And I was so pleased that I waved Two-step in the air and jumped up and down chanting; 'I've found Armboth,' very loudly because I knew no-one would hear me. Here are the pics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home