Thursday, August 17, 2006

Angle Tarn Pikes

Wednesday, 9th August

Have been to Angle Tarn Pikes before but have only recently discovered that there are two pikes and I think the one we climbed was not the highest. Thought I'd re-visit just to make sure. Planned to do Place Fell and perhaps Beda on the way back.

Day did not go entirely to plan in that I found myself in the middle of and National Ordenance Survey outing with over seven-hundred people trailing up Boardale Hause and running around the tops, pressing buttons around markers. I shouldn't mock but really, life is too short for all this running around - people need to slow down in my opinion. Anyway, they were a friendly bunch and I managed to reach the Hause in one piece after one of my water bottles burst in the rucksack and ran down my back - brrrrr!

Started to drizzle on the top and get colder so back didn't dry. Found the pike M and I originally climbed and then found the highest one. Wind was getting really rough at this point and I thought I might be blown off the top.

Decided Place Fell - which I have also climbed twice but not to the summit - was too high for today and settled for an extremely blowy crossing of Beda Fell.

Halfway across I met a man just finishing the Wainwrights; he was nearly seventy - and then his father appeared, who was in his nineties! And I thought I would have to finish the high fells once I reached fifty!

The wind got worse and I could hardly get my waterproof troos on because there was nowhere to shelter and had to do it sitting in the wet grass with the rain stinging into my face. Whew - it's been a long time since I've been out in a storm.

Enjoyed it thought - mainly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home