Sunday, August 20, 2006

Caldbeck

Sunday, 13th August

Have been to Caldbeck many times but never to the 'Howk'. What a lovely surprise that was. Marcus couldn't come out with me today so I decided to drive to Caldbeck to follow Wainwright's Faulds Brow walk in the Outlying Fells Book. It started to rain - quite heavily - before I'd reached Bassenthwaite; so I stopped off at Uldale and had something to eat in the Schoolhouse Tea Rooms. Liz and I used to come here a lot in years gone by - it was good to see it still up and running - more than that acutally because it appears to be doing quite well. Well done Jenny. All the food in cooked on the premises - cakes are delicious.

Stopped raining when I'd finished eating, which was good, so drove on to Caldbeck and followed directions to, The Howk. This turned out to be a ruin of an old Bobbin Mill set in a beautiful limestone gorge. Followed the path to the waterfall and on to Whelpo bridge across fields. Rain kept off and the climb to Faulds Brow was easy. The whole fell was covered in heather and there was a good view of both the back of Skiddaw and the Solway Firth.

I think this has been one of my favourite of the Outlying Fell walks I have done so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home