Monday, October 09, 2006

Loadpot Hill

Friday, 22nd September

Have been fell-walking for over 25 years and today is the first day that I forgot my jacket. Fortunately it was not too cold but it began to rain just as I reached Loadpot and I had to make the return journey in the mercifully light rain. (I had remembered the waterproof trousers however, so at least my bum would stay dry)!

Have never walked here before and was fascinated to think that in the places where the remains of the Roman footpath could clearly be seen, I was walking on stones that had been placed there thousands of years previously. Walked to Arthur's Seat first and then navigated my way to Bonscale Pike. Had difficulties locating the old cottage chimney on Loadpot until I re-read my map more correctly. Would have been seen walking towards it with cup of tea in one hand and the map in the other. There is even less left of the chimney than there was when Wainwright drew it.

Wanted to carry on to WhetherHill but it had started raining and I was getting cold, what with the, no jacket situation and that. Must admit to not much liking the Far Eastern Fells but the various monuments made today's walk more interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home