Monday, October 09, 2006

Rest Dodd & The Nab

Friday, 29th September

Started late, looked like rain but I carried on regardless. Remembered the way to Hayeswater but as soon as I reached the resevoir, it began to rain heavily. Didn't want to turn back so struggled up to Rest Dodd, which I could hardly make out in the cloud. Saw The Nab as soon as I reached the summit and clambered down with difficulty (it was very steep). Decided to follow a path I could see by the wall on the way back, even though I wasn't sure where it led.

Peat hags - yuk! Was O.K. once I simply waded through them in a straight line instead of trying to work a way round them. Started to doubt my ability to get back before dark and wondered if I could go straight down The Nab and then walk on the road back to Hartsop but then realized that Martindale, the valley I would end up in, was miles away from Hartsop and there is no road round. I would have to climb another fell to get any where near.

So, back through the peat hags and up along the wall where . . . I knew where I was, having done the, Boredale to Hayeswater, via Angle Tarn walk, twice before. Bravo! Got back to Hayeswater and Hartsop just before dark and drove home.

Can't say there was much to enjoy about this walk, particularly in the wet. The view of Angle Tarn from The Nab was interesting as was seeing where I had been walking the week before. All I remember saying (out loud as I recall) as I was walking up to the summit of The Nab was: "I've got to get to the summit today because it means I'll never have to come here again."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home