Wednesday, July 20, 2005

A Bad Day on Steel Fell

Thursday, 13th June

I don't often have bad days on the fells and to be honest, this day wasn't bad as such. I had planned to walk to the top of Steel Fell the long way, around a large loop encircling the Greenburn valley from Grasmere. In hindsight it would have been better had I attempted the walk the other way around and ascended straight up over the summit. As it happened I got stuck at the top; unable to descend as I was unable to ascertain the level of the drop etc. and ended up walking all the way back down the way I had come. This brought the time of the walk to over seven and a half hours, which I hadn't really prepared for. It also meant that the Gingerbread Shop was closed by the time I got down and a good many other shops as well. I arrived home, drove straight past the entrance of my lane to the nearest garage and gorged myself on a large bag of liquorice allsorts (current favourites at the moment). I needed sugar, I needed food - God I was tired.

As I say though, it was not really a bad day, simply a tiring one. And I did give myself a bit of a telling-off for having a whinge. Sitting on the edge of ridge with the late afternoon sun kissing my shoulders, the smell of sheep and grass filling my nose and a vast expanse of mountain in front of me, I was really in no position to moan, I felt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home