Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Fairfield Round

Sunday, 7th August

About two years ago Marcus sat bot upright in bed one morning and declared that he wanted to do the Fairfield Round. He didn't know where it was or what it involved apparently, but he had heard about it and wanted to do it. We tried a few months later but were held back at Heron Crag by a storm. Today we succeded. It is a very long plod, is what I remembered from when I did it alone one frosty January many years ago. I had long hair then and the wind blew strands of it into my open mouth as I puffed and panted my way up Long Rigg. By the time I had reached Fairfield summit the edges of my hair were frozen stiff. Today we had no such problems; it was hot on the way up and breezy along the tops. Eight peaks in one day.On top of Fairfield we met a sheep, who ended up nicking my crisps; put her nozzle right in the bag I was eating from. Also tested M's camera to see if it was edible - results above.Had a nasty fall on the way down and twisted my ankle. Managed to stumble back to Rydal however, meeting all the people we crossed on the tops. Had a drink at the Badger Bar but then began to panic because ankle was having pins & needles and I wasn't sure if this meant it was worse than I initially thought.Despite fall, I did enjoy this walk but it is a slog and I think I much preferred doing it with someone else rather than on my own!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home