Friday, June 08, 2007

Yorkshire Sculpture Park

Appreciating one of Andy's Sheepfolds
Inside the Sky Space
Posing in a Henry Moore. By Bittern Lake
An amazing field of poppies backs a Henry Moore
(I called it Alien Girraffes)!
Monday, 4th June - My Surprise day out
Marcus wanted to take me on a suprise day out and we ended up at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. In particular he wanted to take me to the Andy Goldsworthy exhibition that was featured.
Can't say I was too impressed with his early work: Sheep shit on Snow, for instance did nothing for me at all. I could see the point of the Cow dung window however but it was the installations in the underground gallery that I appreciated the most - liked the Stone Room in particular.
Have to admit I still like his outdoor art; the leaves pinned together and the temporary dams that self-destruct after just a short while. I like the idea of nature taking back what belongs to Her, as if She is merely lending herself to the artist for the moment only. Long enough for us to appreciate her finer qualities before she becomes Herself again. Yes, I love that.

Marcus liked the Sky Space by James Turrell. The building reminded me of an Egyptian temple: Abu Simbell or Edfu, I thought: a Temple to the Sky, now there's a thought.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home