Friday, August 19, 2005

Holme Fell

Wednesday, 17th August

I have been getting up with Marcus in the morning so that he could drop me off somewhere on his way to work (he drives all the way through the Lake District). It will save me the drive, I thought. Well it did. He dropped me off on the turnoff to Holme Fell quarry, just past Yew Tree Tarn and up I went. Holme Fell is one of my favourite places but I have never actually climbed to the top, having climbed Ivy Crag, which is next to it but not the official summit.

Ankle did not hurt too much on the ascent; the occasional wobble made me say, 'ouch!' But here is where my confusion comes in - It was about ten'o'clock when I made my down to one of the pools at the bottom but I didn't reach Elterwater (about an hour and a half away) until 2.30. I didn't spend a great time resting so I don't understand where the time went. I decided to wander about a bit - go look at bits I hadn't been to before but even giving that it was still a long bloody time. Maybe I found a time-warp. Holme Fell is a very magical place so it wouldn't surprize me really.

The two-hour wait for the bus was a bit of a bummer especially after the afternoon pint. Giving that I don't really drink much alcohol it was all a bit much and by the time I reached Ambleside, I had a splitting headache. Strong coffee and a painkillier soon shifted it.

My ankle hurts now. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home