Monday, August 08, 2005

Lancaster University

Sunday 3rd August - Saturday 9th August

I have been extremely nervous about this whole summer-school lark from the beginning. All those new people to meet and being away from home for a whole week on my own - not to mention the driving. It's strange because a few years ago I would have relished the whole idea. That's what happens when you get ill I expect - anyway - It all went very well as it happened. I missed two morning sessions owing to a migraine and lack of sleep but did manage the rest, although Iwas scared to death most of the time. I was unusually unsociable also - everyone went to the bar at night and I stayed in my room reading. I am not used to having people round me all day so I was quiet. I also stuck to my own diet, rarely eating the meals provided. As a result I have lost another two pounds in weight, despite not having done any exercise for seven days.

I did meet Pops for an evening meal out in Lancaster and, at the end of the week, picked up Francis to bring him back to Keswick for a few days.

I feel very bolstered up about my writing again now and am confidently re-writing and editing stuff with the aim of getting myself an agent. It was particularly interesting for me discovering how other writers write. The four tutors on our course all gave workshops and readings and this helped me to discover more clearly what is the best way for me personally to write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home