Sunday, November 06, 2005

The Very Silly Walk

Saturday 15th October

I suggested that we walk up Glaramara. It is a pretty fell, I explained to my husband Marcus, and there are some lovely tarns up at Allen Crags. We can come down via Sty Head (I'm not too keen on Grains Gill, if I have the choice) but it will be long, I said, it will be a very long walk.

Well, it turned out to be eight and a quarter hours long to be precise, most of it taking place in cloud, so we couldn't see a damn thing! By the time we reached the 'pretty tarns', our legs were on auto-pilot and we did not wish to stop, lest we did not make it from the fell by nightfall.

We laughed. We laughed so much we cried - what else could we do? Stuck up a fell for hours surrounded by grey cloud (at least it did not rain)! We met a couple on the third summit of Glaramara and after a while I managed to persuade them to turn off the small path they were following and move over to find another wider one - thank Goodness I can read a OS map.

By the time we were on the road back to Seatoller, our legs were aching so much we were feeling every little fall and rise of the ground. Marcus started to run down the last bit of a hill towards the road (and pub.) with his legs going out at all angles - I had to hold onto the front of my trousers to stop from weting myself.

Not what I would want every walk to be but great fun all the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home