Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The not so Great Mell Fell walk

A Red Squirrel says hello
Spooky Trees on Great Mell


Monday, 11th June
Which was entirely my fault because I did all the things I always tell anyone who is going walking on the fells not to do; I took no waterproofs, no food, no compass and no map. Why would I need these things I thought as I was only going a wee walk up an extremely wee hill?
Actually Great Mell was an enchanting place (once I reached the top and found myself on a half decent path. A quiet, magical place where one got the distinct impression that the spirit of the place was one that was not used to being disturbed. Dark, spooky; a place where sorcery has once been practiced.
I think I would have appreciated it more had I not turned onto the side path which circumvates the hill and, as a result, been forced to climb up the steep North face, instead of the gentler - and drier - Western flant. Will know better for next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home