Monday, April 09, 2007

Seathwaite Fell

Very snowy the higher we walked. (but not cold).


Sprinkling Tarn

Great Gable from Seathwaite Fell

Seathwaite Tarn

Wednesday, 21st March
Seems such a long time since I walked this feel; last summer in blazing heat I recall. And aftwerwards I climbed up onto Great End but had to visit Esk Hause before I went back. They were making or repairing the footpath. But although I walked the full length of the fell, I failed to summit the actual highest point so I thought I would return and ensure that I did.

We came up the easy way - from Styhead - as I didn't want to get stuck on Grains Gill. Many years ago I completed this circular walk with a friend in conditions similar to today and we found that in places the path was completely iced over. With no-where else to go, we had to make an unpleasant scramble across ice-covered rocks. Grains Gill is no place for a pleasant amble in snow. We met a guy near the tarn who had come up that way and tolk us he had nearly gone back so we were pleased to return the way we had come.

I like Seathwaite Fell. It is a pretty place, full of secretive rocky places filled with unexpected tarns. The one I have named, Seathwaite Tarn was little more than a puddle last year.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home